Friday, April 29, 2011

Snow Sanity

It's always unsettling to feel like your sanity is slipping away from you; like sand beneath your feet when the waves roll in--though its not nearly as fascinating or fun. I used to have such firm footing. I used to be able to turn myself upside down and inside out while completing an assortment of sweet 360s and still know which direction I'm heading. Now if it snows on a day that should be sunny I can't seem to keep my head on strait. I find myself falling into an aimless abyss, searching for something substantive to simultaneously steady my footing and enrich the lives of my little ones.

So, what did I do this April 29th afternoon when I felt myself collapsing beneath the weight of the advancing storm? Step aerobics. Yep, I loaded the boys into the Bob and set off in the snow toward the community building. As soon as we strolled into the mirrored room I felt a sense of relief. Jdog loved popping his head up from his rolling spot on the blankets to see his reflection in the mirror. Atrain went right for the closet that housed the steps and loved constructing all sorts of aerobic stair mazes. Meanwhile, I dusted off the "step it up" competition 80s VHS that was lying lonely in the closet and plugged it into the system.

These step athletes were amazing; jumping from a toe touch into one handed push-ups with legs crossed on the step, power-pony twists into back flips from the step, MC hammer chuggs into front walk overs on top of the step--all while wearing thongs over spandex shorts and scrunched socks. I was in love. Just the type of well-grounded people to pick me up and whip my mind back into shape with their crimped-hair side pony tails. Thank you 80s step routines: the perfect cure for my snow-storm induced insanity.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'm sure we can dig up some spandex uniform for your snowy days. Then you can do it in style!

    ReplyDelete