Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sleep Talking

Today the husband and I were up at 4 in the morning with both kids crying, wondering why we had decided to spend the night at my parents' home. The husband actually asked, "Do you think we can get a refund on your tickets to Texas?" But he didn't mean it. We always find ourselves frustrated in the wee hours of the morning whenever we are away from our beds.

I grow tired of playing ping pong between sleepless boys’ beds, trying to negotiate with a cochlear-less Atrain who screeches every time I slip away to feed the Jdog. Then Jdog howls whenever I unlatch to go calm Atrain. The cycle repeats multiple times. And finally when I can’t figure out how to slice myself in two, I start growling. That’s when the husband starts sleep talking—not because he’s stressed, but because he’s not sure what to do when I am. I know he still wants our growling, howling, screeching crew there for two of the eight weeks he’ll be rotating in Texas. We just need to figure out a way to take our apartment with us.

By way of working out the stress that built up overnight, I ran five miles in a snowstorm today. I loved feeling the falling snowballs pelt against my face. I felt so hard core as I wiped the layers of slush off my sunglasses. I don't want to do that everyday, and especially not when I attept my first half marathon next week, but it felt amazing today.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you hate how they sleep horribly anywhere but their own bed? It can be so frustrating and sometimes you wonder if it is really worth staying the night or just taking the hour drive home. Spencer and I contemplate that quite often. Also...your running a half marathon?!? Where have I been? Is this a recent decision or have you been planning it for a while? Guess it's time for us to chat! Love you Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you two are always so good at being flexible, i'm sure it will work out okay. Hard to imagine after a hard night.

    took my long run on the same day... Not in the same weather, though. I'm pumped to do the run with you!

    ReplyDelete