Friday, July 29, 2011

All Nighter

I've been up all night tonight, watching Friday Night Lights, catching up on my writing and reading, and best of all waiting for the husband to call. He's somewhere on his bike in between home and Vegas. His five man relay team left this morning at 9:00am, ready to pedal through the night on their fancy road bikes toward the infernal heat of sin city. Sounds crazy and adventurous and extremely exciting. I wish I were there with him. Can't wait for him to be back.

Tonight while at the playground before bedtime Atrain watched a little girl catapult over a curb on her bicycle and face plant into the asphalt. It was a horrible scene--makes me cringe just thinking about it. I think Atrain feels the same way. Moments after the wreck he announced, "I'm ready to go home now." I don't think he's ever said that before. His sensitive spirit was a little shaken. Me heart ached for him. He walked his bike home and reviewed what had happened, "She needed to use her brakes...I will always use my brakes, I promise." I smiled back at him and did my best to calm his troubled mind, "You're a very good bike rider. Just always use your helmet and everything will be just fine."

Tonight at family prayer Atrain reflected on the evening's scary circumstances, "And please bless that everyone will use their brakes--that dada will be safe on his bike race--and that he will remember his brakes..." He sure loves his daddy.

2 comments:

  1. My heart aches for him, that he correlated the little girl's crash with his dada on his bike. Poor little man.

    Glad to know you caught up on FNLights... hope the husband saved some for you to watch together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. jonny definitely used his breaks. we were all surprised when he called you in the very early hours of the morning--and proud to discover you were watching FNL...

    ReplyDelete