Monday, July 4, 2011

Speaking Firework

Today our little family had one plan, and one plan alone for the fourth of July: watch Cars 2. So, that's exactly what we did. It was awesome. And the movie wasn't half bad either. Atrain was enchanted by the action--literally on the edge of his seat as Mater was dragged into a top secret spy plot. I don't think he necessarily cared (or followed) the sinister plot line, but he sure loved seeing all of Mater's disguises. He's been compiling a list of the cars he needs to earn ever since.

That night we invited ourselves over to Pance Farmstrong and Famous' home to watch fireworks. We're really good at doing that. They weren't even planning on being around until later, but welcomed us in anyway. (I can't wait for the day when people want to invite themselves over to my home--really, I do hope you all pay me back someday. A lot.) I started baking a cake for my mother-in-law's birthday the next day, but my good intentions were soon interrupted by an assortment of explosions. I looked out the kitchen window and saw the skyline dancing with bursts of billowing light.

The husband and Atrain opened the patio door and took a seat on the deck, along with Bil, Deej and family. This year our state legalized personal areal fireworks, and everyone was celebrating their independence in style. P&A soon returned home to watch the show. The hill their house sits on was the perfect place to relax and revel in the neighbors' festive displays. The kids bounded about on the grass with glow sticks in hand, giggling uncontrollably, and then stopping on occasion to stare with jaws-dropped as sparks grew into fiery willow trees, then disappeared right before their eyes. I never want to forget how my heart bubbled with excitement as I held the husband's hand and watched Atrain's little silhouette jump across the star burst sky. My niece Bellzozo laughed without restrain and squealed with each explosion, as if to answer them back. "She's speaking firework," said Pance (my new nickname for P-diddy, since he loathed my previous attempts). If only we could all speak firework.

1 comment:

  1. It was a wonderful day and night... mostly because you guys were there to welcome us home!! It seems that we work best with spontaneous get-togethers!!! It really was magical. If only I had had eggs for the cake...

    Let's do it again next year! Oh, wait... that's a little too planned...

    ReplyDelete