Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Question

Just a few minutes ago Atrain asked me a question that I have been waiting for him to ask me for a few years. We finished our nightly routine: read our scriptures, said our prayers, read a book and made small talk about the day. And then, I kissed him and asked--as I do every night--if he will hand me his cochlears. He looked at me with a small, thoughtful smile and asked,

"Mom, why do I have cochlears?"

My heart filled with love and confidence. I could feel God helping me through the conversation I have been thinking about ever since I held my 5 week old baby with bright red, glowing hearing aids on.

"Some boys and girls have cochlears, and some don't," I said. "Just like some boys and girls have glasses and some don't--some babies need cochlears and some need glasses."

"What do you think about that?" I asked.

"When I take off my cochlear," he said as he proceeded to remove the coil from his head, "I can't hear on that side...watch...hear?"

"Yep." I said. "And did you know that when you were a baby and you didn't have cochlears to hear, God told me that you are so special...and that you would be blessed to hear so well with cochlears."

My heart burned within me and I could feel my eyes start to well up with tears as God reminded me, again, how special the boy staring at me really is. Atrain was nodding his head as he listened intently to every word.

"God loves you so much, Atrain. Ever since you were little, God has told me how much he loves you and how good and special you are." I said.

Atrain grinned kindly and he said, "And when you grow little, you can have cochlears too."

"Maybe," I responded, "I would love to have cochlears, but I will never get to grow little like you...just bigger."

"Then when you are big, you can have cochlears too" he added, and then continued to let me into his world. "And look, when both cochlears are off, it's really hard to hear," he said as he took both off. I mouthed, "wow" at him, and he quickly put them back on with a smile.

"How does that feel?" I asked, honestly curious.

He thought for a moment, and then said, "Kinda scary."

My stomach got a little heavy when those words came so clearly out of his mouth, but I could feel the Spirit move our conversation along. "But momma and daddy are always here, and you are so brave, Atrain. You are the bravest, strongest boy that I know," I said.

"Look!" he said as he flexed his muscles and made a fierce, fighting face. "I am strong."

"I know. I'm so proud of you. And God knows that you are so strong. You make me strong" I said and let a few tears go. "That's a happy tear."

Atrain smiled at me and gave me the biggest hug. I am so proud of that little boy. And tonight during our conversation I was reminded just how much God is aware of him and aware of my mothering needs. I was impressed by how simple, but profound our conversation was. I hope I can raise Atrain to understand what Christ meant when he commanded us to "love thy neighbor as thyself"--a commandment that I am constantly working on. There are all kinds of people in this world, and we need to work to understand and rejoice in our differences and develop empathy for each other's challenges. Atrain doesn't fully understand the challenges ahead of him, just as I can't fully grasp the challenges ahead of me. But, I know that God does. He can help us "turn the other cheek." He can teach us true charity. And, he can prepare us for whatever is to come.

5 comments:

  1. Atrain is an amazingly special boy. I cried my way through this post (who's surprised?). I'm so impressed by his understanding and go-get-em attitude. He is strong. As are you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tender moment! So sweet of you to let us in your little world. We sure love all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tender tears for me too. I love the confidence you are instilling in him... not just confidence in his cochlears, but confidence in the love you and God have for him.

    It is a special thing, to feel that you are being led in conversations with your kids. Those have been some of my most memorable faith-building experiences. It is so nice to know we can have guidance as parents... goodness knows we need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What a special moment with sweet little Aaron. You both are so wise-It's easy to see why God put you together. I'm sure proud of you honey, I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found myself crying through this entire post...there is a reason why you are his mother. He is blessed to have you as his advocate, guardian, teacher, protector, cheerleader and mother. xox

    ReplyDelete