Monday, February 14, 2011

One Dozen Surprises

I’m not really sure if I like Valentines Day. Romance is mostly romantic when an unexpected gift or moment (planned by your partner) reveals how much he or she has been thinking about you…how excited he or she has been to surprise you with something they’ve been planning for weeks. Part of me is annoyed by V-day’s contrived expectation of obligatory romance. Another large part of me wonders all day long if the husband will “surprise” me with something sweet and special. I did end up liking this Valentines Day, but not because the husband surprised me with a dozen roses. The day gave me one dozen (mostly) sweet surprises instead:

Surprise #1: 50% off lowest marked clearance price at Smiths’ Market Place. I scored a couple of inexpensive jackets for the boys for Easter—a holiday I definitely like.

Surprise #2: The mechanic said that our car would only cost $230 to get it repaired rather than $750…I always had an itchy feeling that Big O was taking advantage of my mechanical ignorance.

Surprise #3: The custodial staff came by my apartment today to do my Spring Cleaning. Even though this surprise was planned, (they offer this service free-of-charge once every year to on-campus apartments) it never ceases to amaze me how incredible it feels to have someone else clean the bathroom for me.

Surprise #4: A couple of Atrain’s friends are allergic to peanut butter. I wish I would have packed a bigger variety of Valentines, rather than relying solely on the good-ole Reeses hearts to hand out to his neighbor friends. At least Atrain enjoyed devouring the left-overs.

Surprise #5: Atrain was deeply disappointed when the husband and I decided to get our chicken nachos via take-out from our favorite restaurant. He really wanted to go in.

Surprise #6: The Chick-fil-A that existed on our GPS by Fashion Place mall is now a jewelry store.

Surprise #7: There are too many McDonalds restaurants without play places. We drove by three of them on our quest for a family-friendly Valentines dining experience. Atrain knows how to say, “Let’s look a little harder.” I never thought I’d be so happy to see the golden arches on 2100 South.

Surprise #8: Jdog loves watching Atrain run like a crazy man around Mickey D’s.

Surprise #9: Little boys with long pony tails make great playmates.

Surprise #10: Atrain can hear me through the maze of plastic tunnels when I yell at him to come eat his happy meal.

Surprise #11: The husband did think about buying me a bouquet of flowers on his way home from the hospital, but decided against it because of the ridiculous price tag. On our student budget, I was just happy to hear that he thought about it.

Surprise #12: Cold, slightly rubbery chicken nachos still taste wonderful when eating them with the one you love.

6 comments:

  1. I am like you, I am not a fan of V-Day. Romance for me is also spontaneous, and not achieved by following an obligatory date imposed by Hallmark. I also wondered if the hubs would surprise me, but he didn't, and I'm okay with that. We ate chocolate dessert and watched a "sappy love movie" (his words), and that was good enough for me! I just was happy to spend time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free cleaning? Seriously? I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with you on the "forced romance" issue. It is so unromantic for romance to be enforced on a particular "special romance" day of the year.

    Its like a canned answer. It takes no thought to give flowers or candy on this "special day"; and therefore it makes it very unspecial cause if I am getting flowers, everyone else is also getting flowers.

    So we don't worry about buy flowers at extremely obnoxious prices. We can just wait til a different time of year for a special flower surprise. And don't get me started on roses...uggghhh!...

    Lol Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love valentine's day because I married the most unromantic man...I love a day that I can expect some sort of above and beyond lovin'...like this year it arrived at 9:30pm, roses from the closest gas station and a hallmark card. lol, I am happy to get anything I can.

    But I agree, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments everyone. :)
    Sarah-I would probably be more positive about Valentines day if I got flowers too.

    ReplyDelete