Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Drive

Today after church ended I told the husband that I wasn’t going to get out of the car until Atrain fell asleep. He said, “ok.” So, we drove around the city for hours with both our babies sleeping soundly in back. It was amazing.

We worked on the husband’s personal statement for upcoming applications. We admired the beautiful homes in the area. We fantasized about the next few years of our lives: where we will be, what a semi-stable residency program will feel like, and how much more in debt we will be when we get there. We talked about God, the future, how funny it was when Atrain said this morning, “I told you to turn the lights off,” and how sweet it is to hear Jdog giggle—especially when Uncle Esteban had him laughing this weekend.

I think the peace of our slow, meandering Sunday drive will sustain me through the tantrums this week. When I said to the husband, “We’re probably wasting gas,” he replied, “No. We’re buying our sanity.” He was right. He always is. I sure love that man. Wherever we will land in the next few years, one thing is for sure: there will be sweet, slow Sunday drives.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Melinda! It's Joelle! What a cute little blog you have here. I love this post because Keola and I do the exact same thing every once in a while and I feel guilty about using up the gas, but after reading this post, I realize it's true that I actually do feel a little more sane, my cup a little more full than before. The best dates are during nap time in the car! Hope you guys are doing well. Congratulations on #2 btw! Good luck on your future endeavors

    ReplyDelete