Friday, August 19, 2011

Camp Out

The husband and Atrain are sleeping under the stars tonight. I guess, that is, if you count camping in the back of a pick up truck with a hard top "sleeping under the stars." I can't even imagine how much fun they're having. They left with a pile of blankets, a bumble bee lantern, a jumbo bag of monster marshmallows and the "Fox in Socks" book. It's always a riot to listen to the husband read that book. He's so judicious in his account of the tweetle beetle battles in a bottle on a poodle eating noodles.

Atrain loves his daddy so much. Tonight while I was trying to clean up I found the husband's Family Home Evening card name tag hanging next to Atrain's tag on the hooks in his room. I wonder when Atrain sneaked them in there. This has been a fun week for my boys. They spent a lot of time catching up on playing catch, going to the D.I., crashing at family members' homes and chasing me down at work events. I smile wider than the Grand Canyon when I see my boys strolling down the sidewalk to me.

Training is over, which means back to the routine. I do enjoy my routine. Maybe a bit too much. Tonight I tried and tried to talk myself into loading myself, baby J, and the port-a-crib into the back of the truck to rough it in the woods. I was really even ready--bags packed, baby food stocked, blankets gathered. But, when Jdog showed signs of resistance, I bailed. Maybe I should push myself a little more...take a few more risks. I used to be so good at that. I hope someday I'll recover my lost sense of spontaneity. But not tonight. Instead, I'll be content cuddling my pillow with the window cracked open, letting a lonely cricket lull me to sleep while I wonder what the boys are up to.

4 comments:

  1. always a please when jonny 'crashes' at our house--if even for a few minutes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay... she's back!!! And back to the routine of normal life home with the boys again. Happy day!!!

    Love the new header.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree, I feel as though I have lost my youthful go with the flow spontaneity. I miss her a lot sometimes. I am hoping I can get some of that girl I back soon!! ;D

    I would tell, though, that you do what is best for you, if you feel like you cant go camping with a little one yet, don't. No expectations, no regrets!! That's my new slogan as of late.

    You are doing a great job! Maybe you would have been a bit more spontaneous had you not just worked your lil' fanny off the last week or so.

    ReplyDelete