Monday, August 1, 2011

Missionary Monday

Hello sweet JD,

I miss your kind smile. I miss your honest voice. I miss your quirky moves. I miss you. But that's not why I'm writing this letter. I'm writing to tell you how proud I am of you, and how much I love you. I love that you are on a mission. I love that you are working so hard to help others feel the light and love of Christ in their lives. I love that you have this opportunity, and I am so proud of you. I'm sorry that I've been MIA for a couple of weeks. To be honest, because of the 24th holiday last week I plum forgot that it was writing day. The husband and I spent a couple of nights in Spork, in your old room in fact. Your "true religion" body wash is still in the shower, and I had to giggle as I thought of you in Texas preaching about the true religion. I don't know why it seemed kind of funny and ironic at the time.

The weekend at home with the family was a lot of fun. We helped Bambi's family move, BBQd, laughed and played cards with the family, sang with Allerina in church, cried when the parents gave their talks in church, took naps, took Atrain for a ride in the beamer to watch fireworks, chided dad for buying Allerina a motorcycle, and shot guns. Yes, that's right, dad took me shooting. I expressed an interest when the Hawaina family was over and we were talking about concealed weapons permits. As you know, I've always been somewhat scared of guns. I don't really like them, and holding the power to kill in the palm of my hand just doesn't settle well with me. But, that also may be just because I don't know how to handle a gun. When you don't know a lot about something (or someone for that matter) it's easy to be afraid. So, dad suggested that we go out to Goshen to shoot. And, shoot we did. I wasn't a bad aim, either. It was an educational experience, and somewhat thrilling. I can see why people like to "go shooting." But I think it will take a lot more practice for me to be comfortable handling such a powerful weapon. That's probably a good thing.

A super funny thing happened when we were playing outside in the water with the kiddos on Saturday night. Allerina and I got into a water brawl. That is to say, she wrestled me into a kiddie pool of water--right after she squirted poor Atrain right up the nose with the hose--directly following my immediate warning not to listen to our little devil of a dad tempting her to do it--but not before I dunked her sorry face in the pool first--all the while dad leaned back into his comping chair chuckling at the scnene he had orchestrated. And, then there was poor Atrain, who misinterpreted our sissy screams and giggling grunts as a real live family feud. He stood in the adjacent pool with tears streaming down his face, squiring the hose at Allerina and Amber (who had joined in) with all his might. I probably did more damage to the kid trying to defend him than Allerina did squirting him in the face int he first place. As soon as I saw his dismay the ruckus came to a screeching halt and we all cracked into a thunder of laughs. After a few explanations and a salty cookie trick to get back at mean Allerina, Atrain was as good as new. If only Allerina were still the small, brave little girl who used to run away from home in her pooh suit. Then again, I guess not much has changed--expect that now she drives a motorcycle.

Well, I'm preparing for my lesson next Sunday. Thank you so much for your input. I'm really excited about the member missionary topic and focusing on coming up with a plan to answer questions about the gospel. Because of things said in my patriarchal blessing I was always under the impression that I would serve a mission. I know that I still will, but I want to be doing all that I can now to be a good missionary. I'm excited about the mormon profile suggestion you gave me. And, I contacted the sister missionaries serving in our stake so that I can meet with them and get their input. I think I will also hand out a book of mormon to all of the sisters and challenge them to give it to someone in their lives. But first, I am going to do that this week. I can't preach missionary work if I don't practice it. It is a hard thing for me because I have so much respect for the friends that I have that are not members. I don't want them to get the impression that I think they are sinners, or whatever. Some of the most incredible people I associate with are not members. And I have a great desire to share the thing in my life that is most special, most sacred--that saves me from my own sins and sorrows: the gospel of Jesus Christ. Pray to help me have the courage to invite others to the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I'll pray for you to do the same. Don't be shy to share your talents on the doorstep, brother. It may seem silly, but a guitar may help you open a few more doors and hearts that would otherwise be closed. :)

I sure love you and am proud of you. I'm excited about your 20th birthday. I hope you like the gift I'm sending your way.

Love always,
MJ

PS> Atrain called me to repentance yesterday. Not kidding. After church we were sitting in his room and he looked me strait in the eye and said, "You need to repent." I was a little astonished, and then tried to hold back my laughter as I queried, "Why do I need to repent?" He wore a serious expression and said in a somber tone, "Because of when you did this with winked eyes." He then proceeded to glare at me and shake his finger. I did my best to take the situation seriously. I assumed that he was referring to the moment when he was in the bathtub, refusing to get out, and all I'm left to do (without the ability to communicate with words) is exaggerated my expressions to show him he needs to obey his mother. I never knew he took me so seriously. "Ok, Atrain," I said, "I'm sorry. I will repent. I won't shake my finger at you if you promise to obey me the first time." And that was that. What a great missionary he will make some day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to hear about your missionary week. What great preparation for your lesson.

    And I love that your 3 year old son called you to repentance. He's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete