Wednesday, August 31, 2011

27 things that made yesterday amazing.

1. It was my birthday.

2. Kicking P90x trash at 6:00am

3. Eating the husband’s delectable pancake breakfast.

4. Hearing my mom’s voice on the other end of the line, bright and early, wishing me a happy day.

5. Seeing the “it’s your birthday” grin pasted across Atrain’s face all day long, and relishing Jdog’s oblivious happiness.

6. My new blue nail polish selected by my boys.

7. Lingering a little longer in the shower while the husband did the dishes.

8. Blow drying my hair with my new, digital ion explosion dryer. I’ve always wondered how many watts of power are shooting at my stubborn strands.

9. Receiving cheery bday messages from friends.

10. Wearing the shirt I bought myself last weekend.

11. Taking off to shop for new running shoes with Atrain while Jdog slept with the husband.

12. Getting my battery booted for free by the campus police.

13. Trying on the five finger (toe) running shoes and igniting a new sporting desire.

14. Getting my battery booted (again) by the kind man who heard me trying to talk the Jiffy Lube guys into reviving my dead battery to make one last trip to the repair shop.

15. Making my fifth call to my father to inquire about my minor car emergency, and knowing by the unconditional delight in his voice how much he loves me (even though he was yet to wish me happy birthday).

16. How the husband was so happy to drop everything and accompany me to the mechanic, and then to a clothing store, and then to the D.I.

17. Snagging (not steeling) a sweet brass stag statue from the D.I. “collectibles” department.

18. Catching a “Whinney the Pooh” matinee with the boys and giggling at Atrain who was giggling his way through the opening scenes.

19. Taking a wiggly Jdog out of the theater to wander around the Sugarland strip mall. I scored a couple dirt cheap sale basketball outfits for the boys, and a couple new necklaces for myself.

20. When my phone rang and I heard my father in law and my father on the other end, singing me “happy birthday.” My dad had gone in for an appointment at the Doc’s (father in law’s) office. Hearing their voices made me laugh, and smile, and wonder why I’ve been so blessed by such great examples in my life.

21. Feeling completely and totally pampered at home. The husband and the boys fixed dinner and cleaned up afterwards while I did whatever I wanted without feeling even a bit guilty.

22. Eating my third helping of my birthday “cake,” the husband’s incredible Mango sticky rice dish. Mmmmm. I couldn’t stop. Not today.

23. Putting the boys in bed and hearing Atrain’s sweet “It was such a beautiful day today,” wishes.

24. Sitting next to the husband to watch my new HD video camera in action on youtube and dreaming about the day when we’ll take it snorkeling on some incredible stretch of shore.

25. Thanking the husband for the generous gift of time he’s promised—three weeks of writing time, to be exact. That’s a lot. I let him know that if it doesn’t work out, it will be ok. But, he’s determined. And, I’m thrilled beyond measure. I doubt I’ll knock out a book in three weeks, but maybe I’ll get a good start on my novel dreams.

26. Snuggling with my man on the couch and having free reign of the remotes. I chose to watch a few more episodes of Friday Night Lights. So good.

27. Sitting down to write about the year, reflect on my goals and read a few scriptures. I realized again—just like I do whenever I sit to write—how much God is guiding my life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... what a great, packed, birthday you had! I love the pleasant spin it gave everything... even the car troubles!

    ReplyDelete