Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Losing Bedtime Battles

It’s hard for me to go to bed tonight. Both boys are sleeping soundly in their beds. It’s not very often that I find myself awake with both kids asleep. They usually put up their fists and assume their best defensive postures before heading to bed. Atrain’s battle tactics take the form of frequent bathroom expeditions now-a-days. Jdog fights tooth (well, gum) and nail to stay in my arms at bedtime. He is four months old now, so we’re supposed to start “sleep training.” We’re trying, but I’m not a very good teacher. I know, I know Dr. Weissbluth…self-soothing is a very important skill for my baby to learn. I know that healthy sleep habits=happy, smart babies. I just have a hard time leaving him crying alone in his crib. He’ll only be this little for so long. The nights he wants me to snuggle him to sleep are numbered. So maybe my kids will end up being unhappy and dumb, but at least they will know they are loved.

Because I spend many of my nights soothing Jdog to sleep, his bedtime often becomes my bedtime. When this happens it’s hard to ignore the part of me that feels a little cheated out of a few productive, quiet night hours. Then I remind myself that my days as the most important woman in their lives are numbered. So, when I see that my boy’s bedtime battle strategies are starting to overwhelm my defenses…it’s ok to accept defeat, climb into bed, and cuddle. This phase of soothing little ones to sleep (then sneaking out of bed at midnight to find a quiet spot for my mind to mellow) are marked. And I don’t want to miss any of it.

7 comments:

  1. i'm torn between my desire to spend more time with the kids at night when they are playing antics to get more time with me, versus their ability to follow my rules. other authority figures in their lives may not have the urge to snuggle with them when they don't listen..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. but you could argue that my enforcing the rules with them doesn't affect their pension for following the rules in life anyway...and i'd have had less time with them when they were young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as inspired by you, when i put the kids to bed on friday i spent extra long with each :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! I love your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Throw Weissbluth out with the bathwater, especially during these early early months. Snuggle your baby, and feel not an ounce of guilt. You're doing it right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'd take my kids over Weissbluth any day.

    Good for you, Paul, for taking extra long with your kiddos. They sure love their Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And why is it that their bedtime antics seem are some of the cutest moments of their day? Sheesh I love some of Atrain's avoiding strategies.

    ReplyDelete