Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Puddle of Tears

The husband just called me from the cougar’s disastrous demise in the Marriot Center. I’m not sure if he was more frustrated about their 20 point deficit or about the exhausted little cougar crying, “I want to go home,” at the top of his lungs. Just in case you’re wondering I’m talking about Atrain, not any of the players out on the court tonight.

The situation is sad. BYU basketball’s star forward violated the honor code and is now suspended from the team just when college sports’ top gurus were placing Jimmer and Co in their final four brackets. Now everyone’s blaming the former forward for the team’s worst downfall in BYU bball history.

Did the university do the right thing?

I didn’t graduate from BYU proper, but I am an alumni of its sister school, BYU Hawaii. Anyone who has attended both institutions would agree that they are on opposite sides of many spectrums. However, they share at least one vital vein: the Honor Code. It’s pretty much the LDS church’s moral and "cultural standards" codified into a student contract. Some students hate it. Some students applaud it. All agree to abide by it and give their word to ecclesial leaders at least once a year that they are doing so. If it is violated, disciplinary action is taken—even if you are the forward of a possible final four team.

I can’t say that I agree with everything about the honor code and how it is enforced. I can’t say that I’m a huge basketball fan either. But I am a huge fan of ethical consistency. A code of ethics (and honor) can’t depend on the circumstance. It can’t judge on a case by case basis. Then there’s no use for an honor code at all. Maybe it’s a rather insensitive and unmerciful way for a Christian institution to discipline, but there must be a way to avoid subjectivity. It’s far from perfect, but at least it’s not hypocritical.

I feel bad for the team, for the husband, and for the star forward. Though there may be many tears shed on BYU’s basketball court tonight, the husband said he’s staying to wallow with the worst of them. I’m sure there are many echoing Atrain’s refrain, “I want to go home.”

2 comments:

  1. I like your thoughts. What a sad night, though. Poor atrain... it was a late game for such a little Cougar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will now quote myself (cause I don't want to rewrite it from memory Lol)

    "My take is that he knew the honor code, he agreed to follow it, he broke the rule now he has a consequence for breaking that rule. Honor Code Unrealistic, maybe, but that is their rules, if you can't hack the rules then don't sign yourself or accept a scholarship to one of the most conservative private religious colleges in the nation. Simple as that/shrug. "

    It is too bad that the whole team is going to suffer because of his bad choice. But hey, thats life, and life isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete