Thursday, May 26, 2011

Post Monster Syndrome

It’s always a relief to me to discover that I have a good excuse for acting like an irrational, emotional, mother monster. Last night I was enraged and aghast that the husband would dare deem my feelings “silly.” Right then and there, it wouldn’t have mattered if a stampede of Texas Longhorns were careening toward our front door. The most important thing in the world was whether or not the husband validated my (illogical) perspective. But the husband is just too rational to ignore my gibberish for long enough to recognize that the safest course of action is to nod his head and agree. Then again, it would be hard to ignore gibberish if it jumped at you with fangs bared.

Now, in the light of a new day, the fury that fed my mutated response has faded. I was being silly. I still think that the husband should always burst into hero mode whenever our cute little heathens begin beating up their mother. But it doesn’t matter now nearly as much as it mattered then. Especially because Mother Nature can take the blame for last night’s mutation. Thank heavens. I'd really like to get back to enjoying our time together in Texas.

1 comment:

  1. Ah-ha-ha-ha! It took me a moment to "get" your title, but what a great one. FYI, Sundays (usually just before and just after Church) are my monster days, and not because of nature... all because for some unexplained reason I feel justified in throwing myself pity parties while everyone lays around enjoying the Sabbath, and I want to get things done. Luckily our husbands are alike and can wait out the stormy mood swings until they (usually) quickly pass. :) I hear ya.

    ReplyDelete