Monday, May 30, 2011

A Texas Weekend

Dear Elder I,

Well, it is hot! And humid. As soon as I stepped off of the plane in Houston I felt like someone had forgotten to turn off Texas’ shower. Thick, steamy air wrapped ran its fingers through my hair, making a mess of the curls I had arranged early that morning to impress the husband when I saw him for the first time in two weeks. Not that he really cares. He would have beamed with the same sweet crooked smile whether or not my appearance drooped with humidity and exhaustion. It was so good to see him.

It is strange to be in this state, knowing that you are just a three hour drive away. As we drove through the city I half expected to see you riding your bike along the busy roads. But I’m glad that I didn’t. I don’t know what it’s like where you are, but the cars here don’t leave any room for a couple of missionaries to pedal from appointment to appointment. And, what’s with the mandatory left turn signal? And, why isn’t there a right hand turn lane? I do kind of like how Texans hang their traffic lights horizontally. And, I love how helpful everyone is here. If I ask for directions in the grocery store or within a park, people insist on walking me to my destination. There is a southern charm about this state. I’ve never been called “mam” so much in my life, and I adore driving through different residential neighborhoods to admire old southern homes with wrap around porches and columns. The vegetation kind of confuses me. It seems swamp-like and wild in some places—overgrown trees with sweeping branches mixed in with coniferous-looking varieties that look (to me) like they belong in the mountains. But in other places, the plants are perfectly trimmed and coifed, arching elegantly across the roads, inviting me to come explore. When the husband was worried about what I would do with myself while he worked the week days away I told him not to worry because exploring is one of my strengths. I do enjoy having my sense of structure thrown off. It’s surprisingly refreshing.

We have had so much fun exploring Texas together this weekend. On Friday after the husband came home from work we all went to an Astros baseball game with Glenn, our good friend from high school. Glenn took his boy, PJ, who is exactly Atrain’s age. It was a three year old’s paradise. PJ and Atrain immediately bonded as they ran amuck, stomping on and slapping every baseball-like image in sight. Then they made their way through the stadium seats, dancing to the stadium organ music and chasing each other up and down the stairs. It was a bit challenging to corral them in when we got a few dirty looks from more serious baseball fans. Luckily there weren’t many—dirty looks, that is. Most enjoyed their unabashed excitement for the baseball scene. The night ended with the top of the Astros dome rolling back for our Friday night firework viewing pleasure. The boys loved it. Jdog sat calmly in my arms, watching the bursts of colored light with wide eyes. Atrain sunk into his father’s arms, soaking in the dancing explosions. It was one of those family moments I tried hard to carve into my memory.

Saturday we were off to Galviston to visit Stewart beach. It was our first exposure to the gulf coast. I loved Galviston. I wish that I had a whole weekend to wander around its roads and snoop into the historic homes that dot the streets. It’s amazing many of them are still standing after Hurricane Ike just a few years back. We made our way to the crowded shoreline, and despite the throngs of people and the miniature sandstorm coating our sunscreen in a layer of grit—it was an awesome afternoon. As soon as we got Atrain’s cochlears waterproofed (swim cap + aloksak bag), the husband carried him into the waves to “surf.” Jdog and I sat happily on the shore, playing in the mud. Jdog’s first instinct was to grab a first full and shove it into his mouth—an act he clearly regretted, as he didn’t try it a second time. But, he did enjoy feeling the warm, salty water tickle his toes. Our little family just sat there on the shore for about an hour, enjoying the ebb and flow of the ocean, listening to each other giggle as we played in the mud, watching the little clams dig their way into the sand. I’m trying to let that feeling dig its way into my memory forever. Then, we ate out at Chili’s—much to the husband’s dismay. Saturday is supposed to be “local cuisine” day, but I had a sneaky feeling Atrain wouldn’t enjoy a tray full of crawdads. Or maybe that’s me. Either way, I think we had enough adventure for the day.

On Sunday we went to church wish Glenn’s family. Sometimes church is hard with a 6 month old (can you believe Jdog is already 6 months). He’s not in nursery, is usually tired, is always hungry, and inevitably needs to change his entire outfit (because of a poopy diaper) at least once before we return home. I spend most of the three hour block in the mothers’ room, or wandering the halls. But, it’s worth it. Even if all that I get to do during church is take the Sacrament and dote, without distractions, on my baby--it’s definitely worth it. And, that’s exactly what I did during church yesterday. Somehow Jdog learned the funniest little snort trick; he crinkles his notes and breathes quickly in and out of it, producing small happy snorts whenever he’s excited about something. It couldn’t be any cuter.

Speaking of cute, Atrain has somehow been misinformed that our apartment is Texas. It’s so funny to hear him say, “let’s go back to Texas now,” whenever we are out and about. I’ve tried explaining to him the idea of states, but he’s determined to believe that Texas is where his Dada lives right now—which is the little one bedroom apartment we are renting for the couple of weeks. But don’t worry, I’m sure that as soon as the husband comes home, Texas will return to being where Uncle JD lives right now.

Well, my dear, I must go. The boys will be waking up soon and I can’t wait to greet them. I am blessed to have three sweet boys to nurture and care for in life. I sure love them. I want to be a better mother and wife for them. I know God can help me do that if I work harder to do the small, simple things that mean the most each day. I always need to be working on strengthening my testimony. We have a good friend we have known for a while who stopped going to church because he doesn’t think he has a testimony any more. Harold B. Lee said, "Testimony isn't something you have today, and you are going to have always. A testimony is fragile. It is as hard to hold as a moonbeam. It is something you have to recapture every day of your life.” I want to work harder this week to do that. I sure love you. I’m so proud of you. I’ll keep an eye out for you while I’m exploring this great state, though I know it’s doubtful that I’ll see you. Keep up the hard work.

Love,

MJ

PS- Have you tried Blue Bell Ice cream? Heaven. It’s definitely our biggest discovery in the Lonestar State. You must try it. Pralines and Cream is a dream.

3 comments:

  1. So fun that you are exploring AND enjoying your family time. Sounds like you will find some treasures along the way.

    I love your thoughts about the Sunday routine with a young baby. I wish I had seen it as undistracted time to dote a little more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason said he misses Texas... :) Enjoy it! Glad its going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come home, we miss your doting.

    ReplyDelete