Monday, October 10, 2011

A Disney Day

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me?

M-easuring Atrain in the "Star Tours" line at the beginning of our Disneyland day, and celebrating that he was, indeed, past the 40" height requirement. The husband and I exchanged mischievous glances, wondering which rides we could trick our tall three year old into boarding. A new frontier of family fun awaited.

I-ndulging in the "Tiki Room's" soft serve, pineapple float while happily humming "in the tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room..." over and over in our heads. I knew the mechanical birds were going to put on a good show. I suspected the tropical flowers might have something to say. But, when the wall carvings began singing, I was completely blown away. Atrain, the husband and I were on the edge of our seats.

C-lassy(ish) line-cutting was my specialty. The husband held our spot/studied test questions and sports news while Atrain and I moseyed around, "getting a drink." In the mean time, we also managed to meet a few characters (or rather, admire them from a safe, skeptical distance), check out shops, and (once), we even snagged a quick carousel ride while waiting for our flying pirate ship to depart for Neverland. It was fabulous. And, we always returned with a full water bottle to strategically slip in at the least noticeable

K-eeping away from the "seat belt" rides. The husband and I made the mistake of taking Atrain on Star Tours first. Oops. I suppose that if I were three years old, and one of Darth Vader’s biggest fans, it would be a bit scary to feel like the dark side was about to crush your space ship. He was simultaneously fascinated and petrified. Even though he was proud of his own bravery once the ride was over, he was careful to distinguish fast “seat belt” rides from the slower bar belt variety from then on.

E-ating the PB&J sandwiches we brought in the park for lunch. Actually, we brought in a loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly, and then shamelessly built our lunches on the spot. It saved us a good $30, and helped us justify the splurge on a nice Disney dinner. Mmmm.

Y-elling at the top of our lungs while hurtling down the Splash Mountain plunge. It was our last ride, and Atrain didn’t even see it coming…that is, until our log started climbing higher and higher while Braer Bear’s face dropped into a petrified scream. Atrain clamped onto my shoulders and buried his face into my chest when we reached the top, and then—scream and splash! He looked up, stunned that it was over and even flashed a slight, surprised smile as he said, “That was a fast hill!”

M-eeting the kind mother who sat next to us during dinner. I guess she had been observing our little crew for a while—Atrain in particular. I didn’t notice her gaze, though in crowded public places there are many curious glances and dumbfounded expressions staring Atrain’s way, begging for answers to questions they don’t have the courtesy to ask. I don’t care as much as I used to. But I didn’t even notice this woman’s gentle glances in our direction, until she said to me, “It is nice to meet others who belong to the same parent’s club I belong to…it’s not one you want to be in, but having children who have gone through difficult experiences does change you for the better, I believe.” I knew what she was talking about, even though I had no idea who she was or what her child has experienced. We exchanged smiles and she told me that he has a young daughter at home with a tracheostomy and stomach tube. Atrain really is lucky. We all are.

O-gling over the costumes, choreography and creativity of Disney while watching the Main Street Parade. I love the parade. I had to beg Atrain to leave the Buzz Lightyear line to come and watch it with me. The husband was determined to stay in line and hold our spots, but I think he regretted it--especially because we got caught up in the magic and weren’t able to make it back to the ride in time to meet the husband at the front of the line. Oops.

U-prooting the evil Emperor Zurg’s twisted plot to steel all of the toy’s batteries for the second time in one day. Atrain shot each target with such intensity, I was nervous to get in front of his laser gun. And, just to set the record strait, the husband won the first time around and I won the second. We’ll have to return soon to see who wins, 2 out of 3.

S-eeing Mickey Mouse up close and personal—at his own club house. It was the one thing Atrain went into Disney land wanting to do, and even though it was a 45 minute wait to get a picture with the main man (er, mouse), we happily meandered through his clubhouse maze, watched Steam Boat Willie, and finally entered Mickey’s dressing room to say “hello.” Mickey was awesome. I’m sure he sensed how nervous and excited Atrain was to greet him. He nodded and waved, and opened fat gloves up to our little man. “I watch you in your clubhouse show,” Atrain said, as we were leaving. Mickey nodded and blew kisses as we left out the back door. Atrain’s smile beamed brighter than the sun when we got outside.

E-mbracing the magic of the Disney kingdom. A decade ago the husband and I kissed during a cappella choir tour under the fireworks, near the Disneyland castle. We replayed that moment tonight, with a little less teenage nerves, a little more gusto, and a little light-saber slashing boy living it up next to us. Atrain fought the fireworks with the greatest enthusiasm, posing and swinging with every explosion. Considering the number of people gathered to watch the show, it was a miracle Atrain only hit a few of them. He was completely in the zone—choreographing fight scenes to the beat of the Star Wars theme music. And, as soon as the show ended, he nestled up in his stroller, fell fast asleep and continued to battle in his dreams.

Today, we were the happiest people on earth.

3 comments:

  1. I smiled through this whole post. I love that you all went to CA and took advantage the situation to make a Disney day.

    And those pineapple floats are my fav-or-ite cold treat. mmmm.

    Star Tours for the first ride??!? I can just see Atrain's eyes! Yikes!

    Good job, you guys. Sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Disneyland executives read this, they're going to want to pay you royalties to use it in their advertising! I want to go now too!! :) Well said.

    ReplyDelete