Saturday, October 1, 2011

Conference Camp

Our little family has developed a wonderful tradition every year during October's LDS General Conference weekend. We go camping. There's nothing like listening to God's word while enjoying the raw beauty of mountainous wilderness. Even though my attention is somewhat divided (as usual), there's something about the setting that brings the Spirit and motivates me to go home and listen a little more closely.  But there were a few lines that stuck easily in my mind, without review. Neil L. Anderson said:

Having young children is not easy.  Many days are just difficult.  A young mother got on a bus with seven children.  The bus driver asked, "Are these all yours, lady?  Or is it a picnic?"

"They're all mine," she replied.  "And it's no picnic!"

As the world increasingly asks, "Are these all yours?" We thank you for creating within the Church a sanctuary for families, where we honor and help mothers with children.


I don't have seven children, but I have two--and not "only."  Elder Anderson discussed the "multiply and replenish" commandment, and I am grateful for his words.  I struggle to balance my limits with our desire to bring souls into the world.  It is hard to know when and how many.  I just love my kids more than anything, and I worry about absolutely everything when it comes to their lives.  I want to be the best mom I can be for each of them.  It is hard.  I'm thankful that God knows and understands my limits, even better than I do.  And, I'm grateful for the husband, who is endlessly patient and understanding. 

It is a great time for conference camp--more time to reflect and receive personal revelation from God.  Even though I know millions of people are hearing the messages I hear, it's amazing to feel so personally considered and loved.

1 comment:

  1. In the endeavor of parenthood, I know we are given what we need when we seek it. You care so very much, and I know you will always be a seeker.

    ReplyDelete