Friday, January 20, 2012

It is Time

I'm sitting on the couch, next to the husband, twiddling my wedding ring around my finger with my tongue, considering my life.

I'm considering my boys--their quirks and their charms: Jdog laughing out loud right on cue whenever the husband stares at him and laughs; Atrain teaching me about the sacrament today, "we remember how Jesus brings us to choose eternal life," he said (possibly connecting discussions about the scripture he will recite this Sunday (2 Ne 2:27) and our conversation about the sacrament).

The husband is agonizing over his choice between his Ohio and San Diego residency program interviews, drowning his sorrows in the latest season of "Arrested Development."

I'm thinking about the gift my sister in law Hilly gave me for Christmas--"A Year in the Puddle," printed out and bound with her love and blood. It was a book.  And, I had written it.

And, I'm giggling as I recall my recent unplanned, serendipitous sleep over with Bambi.  We crafted deep into the night and then fell asleep by each other on the couch.  She asked me about my book--not the puddle book--the one I've been building for a couple of years now.  As I told her, that familiar flame of excited fear began to burn in my belly.  I felt the same flicker when the weight of the printed "Year in the Puddle" paper sat in my hands.

It is a flame I have been flirting with for a while--the kind I whisk my fingers through, daring it to burn me, strangely hoping that it does--just a little.  I've been afraid of it, knowing that keeping my family's fire alive and well is my first priority and greatest joy.  Hence, "The Puddle Project," a way to combine my feverish desire to record, to create and to practice stories on a page, while keeping my mind settled in my home (as it always will be).  It was only designed to be a year-long project...a place to splash and plan and prepare.  It is a good feeling--every purpose has been fulfilled except that last, little leap forward into the unknown.

I've been fighting it.  As the year turned, I felt that it was time--but it is so difficult to say goodbye to something that has been so good for me.  It helped me grow into a mother of two.  It made me shift my attitude, broaden my perspective, and set my sights on the mother I want to become.  But, when Bambie asked me, "Are you hiding behind The Puddle?" it was as if we were back in junior high and she was throwing back the shower curtain exclaiming, "It's time to go!"  She didn't tell me what to do.  Good sisters never need to.

So, it is with a scared, yet inspired heart that I bid adieu to my safe, warm, predictable puddle to adventure into other oceans of authorship.  I'll try not to take myself too seriously.  I'm excited to attempt to replace my daily puddle writing time with book writing time.  My mother muddling will continue faithfully on my revamped family blog (if you need an invitation, please let me know).  My home and family will always be the best fire burning in my life.  It has been an incredible journey.  Thank you for puddling with me.

xoxo--MJ

8 comments:

  1. What's your other blog address? I would love an invite. marklmerrill@gmail.com I'll miss the Puddle, but look forward to the ocean that awaits when you finish your book. Let me know if you need someone to help read the preview versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I will miss reading your stories! But I am excited for your next chapter! Wherever it may take you, please let me know as I have been and will always be one of your biggest fans! I love you friend! Good Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears come to my eyes as I bid farewell to The Puddle--so glad to have been a reader and a subject. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really exciting for you! I have loved reading your thoughts, it is nice reading other mothers' thoughts who are in similar life situations. I would love to keep reading if you don't mind inviting me :) rabowlerfam@gmail.com Good luck with your new projects! And it was great to see you and your adorable boys over Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh sad... I will miss jumping through the puddle with you. Just promise us you will faithfully update us on your family blog, and I will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, man! I've so enjoyed blog-stalking you. Well then, I guess it's time I fess up and tell you that I've LOVED reading your insight. (I didn't comment because I was too lazy to sign in. I should have. I'm sorry.) Thank You, for sharing your jumps through the puddles of life. Atrain and my oldest are about the same age. It has been especially nice to read about your "Mother Muddling" as I am having similar experiences with my kids, but you write it so much nicer! I tried the "I can" power trick on my son and it worked. Thanks for the idea.

    I look up to you, MJ. You are brave to end this blog and to jump into uncharted territory. I think you're a talented writer, you inspire me. Your doing your best at being a good Mom and wife. I've learned from you. You're book will be awesome. I'm sure of it. But I will miss "The Puddle". heidi5550@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love an invite to your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sniff, sniff. I will miss the puddle. Hmm... favorite puddle memories: taking the first header picture of you jumping in a (real) puddle, reading your "first kiss" story, your perspective on mommying and marriage, {especially funny stories, like the time Atrain decided to "let it go" because of the spare pants you had), Jdog's walking stories, and excitement over seeing my nickname mentioned from time to time. I could go on and on, but I'm so glad to have been a jumper this past year. Can't wait to read more stuff later!

    ReplyDelete