Saturday, January 7, 2012

Confidence and Cochlears

I think about Atrain's cochlear implants every day.  I think about what a miracle they are.  I think about what a miraculous adjustment my son has made so early in his life.  I think about the challenges seen and unforeseen in his future.  And I think about how well God knows Atrain.  He knows his hearing loss is a challenge Atrain can conquer for the rest of his life.  So do I.  I know it with all my heart.

Atrain and I have a lot of special moments he lets me into his cochlear world.  I feel privileged to be his mother.  Just this week he said to me, "MOM!  The O'falafel restaurant is really loud, but my super ears can get quieter sometimes.  Sometimes super ears can hear far away and sometimes they can get really quiet."  There is actually a program on the cochlears that suppresses excess noise.  I wonder if this is what he's experiencing.

And, during a completely separate conversation he said, "Guess what...my super ears can hear a cougar on the mountain!"  I said, "Really?  I can't hear a cougar on the mountain."  He replied, "I know.  It's just because I have super ears."

I'm pretty sure it's ok and hopefully even healthy that I encourage these conversations.  Atrain has a lot of years ahead of him and a lot of challenging cochlear issues to come.  He also has a lot of gifts to prepare him for whatever lies ahead.  He's creative--solves problems with mad negotiating skills and can pretend up a storm.  He's determined--if his mind is set on something he will bravely pursue whatever that goal may be.  He has a tender heart--so tender.  I worry about it being crushed by ignorant, insensitive individuals.  But, I also know that Atrain's sensitivity will serve him well in the long run.  He will understand things with a unique perspective and develop a strong soul.  And he has a family that loves him immensely.

I hope, more than anything, that I can help him (and all my children) know how much God loves him.  That knowledge brings a calm confidence that anchors through any storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment