Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolved

The honeymoon of the holidays is over and it feels simultaneously sweet and somber to be back in my own home.

The elf was still here when we walked through the door with our sleeping kiddos last night.  So was incomplete advent calendar.  We left before we had time to hang the final nativity story ornaments on our tree.  For a moment I felt as if the holidays had never happened; as if Santa would knock on our window and ask us how he should enter our tiny apartment to deposit his Christmas gifts; as if our bags were packed and ready to go over the river and through the woods...

But then, I remembered the sparkler embellished dance party on New Years' Eve; the glow of Jdog's face when he spotted his new stroller car; the intensity of Atrain's expression as he learned how to make his new razor scooter shoot sparks; the laughter and the games shared with some of my favorite people in the world; the tears that spewed from my eyes when I opened my "year in the puddle" book gift from Billy; the scenes from Christmases past and watching the husband shrink and grow before my eyes, and the feeling of having him, the husband with me.  

I can conquer the world when he's with me.  Or at least plot out my plans to do so.

Atrain came up with his own goals for the year during FHE tonight.  We decided that goals are things that you want to learn to do.  We set goals for this year.  As it turns out, Atrain wants to learn how to ride his bike without training wheels. He decided that one all on his own.  I want to learn to run in my new Vibram running shoes.  The husband wants to learn how to ride his bike more.  Jdog wants to learn how to speak.  We all want to learn to read our scriptures better.  Good things to learn.  It will be a good year.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment