Sunday, January 15, 2012

Broken things to Mend

"Can I borrow your shoes?"  I ask the husband.

"All I have are my flip flops." He says.

"It's better than running in my heels," I say.

I hop out of our broken down car and start jogging toward our apartment building.  The click-clack echo of my over sized flip flops is embarrassing.  I hope no one really pays attention to me.  But, I know that's unlikely--seeing that I'm running as fast as I possibly can, shoving my Sunday skirt back down, fighting the winter breeze's cruel game of "peek a boo."

I hope I can find someone to tow my broken car the rest of the way up the hill to our parking lot.  I hope the husband's broken car will make it to the boys and back without blowing out the other shock's hashed fix-it job done in Texas.  I hope my key will let me into the building.  I hope Jdog won't be too flustered by this sudden frantic burst to go back to sleep.  He can't endure another sleepless night.

My key card opens the door.  I go strait up the stairs to my sweet friend and supervisor, Darleen's apartment.  It doesn't look like the lights are on.  I feel guilty even before I knock on the door.  But, I think about my stranded boys and I tap my knuckles to the wood.  Her dogs bark.  "SSShhhh" she says.  I want to apologize before she even opens up.  I take a deep breath.

The door swings open.  Her sweet face greets me.  I try to smile as I explain, "So sorry to bother you so late, but...can your husband's truck tow our car up the hill?"  Her kind eyes widen.  I tell her the rest of our sudden, tragic mishap and my eyes tear up.  "Not a problem." She says.  "Don't apologize," she repeats.  I say sorry again, but thank her for her kindness.

I race down the stairs to my apartment, trying to wipe the tears from my face.  I wonder how much it will be to fix the darn machines.  Then I pause.  Whatever it cost, it's not as much as it could have been.  We were protected.  Our car could have stopped in the middle of the construction zone on the freeway.  It could have stopped somewhere in the city running errands while the husband was gone.  It could have stopped in the middle of a busy intersection tomorrow on my outing with the boys.  I could have.

But, it didn't.  It stopped two blocks from our home, where my angel neighbors were able to pull it the rest of the way to the parking lot.  It could have been all sorts of bad.  But, it wasn't.  Even if it had been bad, it wouldn't change how grateful I am that God is aware of my little family.

2 comments: