Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Game

While playing the game of motherhood, there are occasions when I feel like I know exactly what the rules are.  I have a firm grasp on the momentum at play and I feel like I have the home field advantage.

And then, all of the sudden I'm sacked.  And, I fumble.  And, Atrain runs away to his end zone with the football--celebrating with all sorts of neanderthal postures.  And, I'm doing my best to avoid a personal foul.

That was today.  I had an adventurous streak and strolled the boys down to the trax station, excited to give us a little more "urban" exposure than we are used to.  It was great--a relatively flawless trip (if you don't count the homeless dude who hit on me) to the grocery store via the train.  And, then we got home.  

Atrain's defensive devils were unleashed.  He resolutely disagreed with every play I put on the table.  "No!" He'd say, as he pushed the line of scrimage back into my territory. 

I tried to stick my ground.  I tried to keep my cool.  But, none of my receivers had their game on.  #29 Patience was tired.  #45 Endure was pooped out.  And #1 Love couldn't complete her routes.  

So, there I was, wondering how to get the ball back, when all of the sudden Atrain asked, "Can I sit on your lap?"  He handed over the ball, and the game changed.

We sat together, reading scriptures with him on my lap, and then he turned around.  We played the "smoosh face" game--one where there isn't any real defense or offence.  It felt wonderful.  

"I love you," I said.  "I love you too...will you please get me some grunilla and water?" he replied.  Music to my ears.

1 comment: