Monday, June 13, 2011

Missionary Monday

Hello Brother,

I hope that you are doing well. I sure love you, and I'm so proud of you. It's been a busy couple of weeks in my little family. I've been doing a lot and learning a lot. And, yes, I talked to your mission president. It was more by accident than anything. We wanted to see where you had been transferred to and get your package address. I thought that I was calling the mission home, but nope. When the phone was picked up on the other end the voice said, "Hello, this is President Jones." I was a little stunned, and apologized for calling his personal number by accident, but went on with my original question anyhow. He was very nice. It was fun to listen to his voice and wonder how he sounds as a mission president.

I actually also emailed him, but for a totally different reason. When I was just a few hours away from you in Texas I wanted to come see your sweet face. We thought that it would possibly be a good idea to go to church in the ward you are serving in. But I guess it wasn't such a great idea, after all. President Jones relayed the official mission rule (in a very strait forward, matter of fact way...seems like a good, by-the-book kind of guy), and after hearing that missionaries are not allowed to have visitors from home, it really made sense in my mind and heart. I'm sure it would be quite distracting to have a visit from your sister and her family. And, I wouldn't want to do anything that would make your mission any harder, or make you long for home any more. It was hard, though, showing up to church on my last Sunday in Texas and seeing the missionaries in the ward there, knowing that I could have been seeing you. But it was for the better, I'm sure.

So...life. It's been kind of interesting lately. I have had a few experiences that have challenged and helped me build my testimony. In my Patriarchal blessing I'm told that my testimony will be challenged as I go through life and that I will face obstacles--but it also says that I will make the correct choices and that I will be courageous in my pursuit of excellence. It was sweet to reread that after this experience. I have a friend from high school who has fallen away from the church. So sad. It has made me do a lot of thinking about my own testimony and which areas need to be stronger. Then, while in Texas I had an interesting conversation with a mechanic (our car broke down while we were there) who asked me point blank, "What is the difference between your church and my church." Elder, I stumbled in my response. I mean, I did my best to tell him about the Book of Mormon and the restoration of the gospel through Joseph Smith, but I was so unpracticed and rather unprepared. When it came to telling someone who has no knowledge about the church and its beginnings, I felt so unsure of my words. Right then and there, I wished that I had served a mission. I would have known exactly what to say. But I didn't.

After thinking a lot about that moment, I came to the conclusion that I need to work of a few things. I need to have a game plan for when that question comes at me again. I don't want to fumble that opportunity (though dad believes positive things probably came from that interaction). I need to gain a stronger testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and practice sharing it with others. Not that I don't have a testimony of the Prophet, I do--I know he was called by God to restore the fullness of Christ's gospel in these latter days--but I need more confidence and practice sharing it. I read a conference talk that was given by a convert from Brazil who read the history of the Joseph Smith that is included in the scriptures and prayed about its truthfulness. Thus far, that has been a great experience for me. For members of the church like me--the "average Jane"--who haven't served a formal mission for the church yet, and was baptized when they turned eight years old, I think it's good that I had a moment like this. It helped me realize what I need to do to be a better "member missionary." And, I'm excited to work on it.

This weekend was Gavin Aina's baptism. It was a very sweet moment for me to watch this young boy make those big promises, especially considering the thoughts that have been flying through my mind lately. I cried as I watched him be immersed in the water. I felt the spirit so strongly, telling me that the promises I made with God are real. They are still intact. And, that I always need to work to keep my testimony growing. Sure, I was baptized at eight years old and perhaps I didn't understand the incredible promises that were made at that point in my life, but I think that knowing, understanding and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ will be a lifetime pursuit. I know that this is God's church and that Christ is at the head of it, instructing our latter-day prophet to help me navigate this life, and make something more of me than I could ever make of myself.

Well, brother, I must go. The babes are waking. They sure love you. I'll leave you with a funny story from my blog about the weekend that I know you will enjoy.

Love,
MJ

1 comment:

  1. So true. It is a lifetime pursuit. And there is always room for refining and improvement. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete