Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dear June,

Welcome. It’s hard to believe that you are here already, but here you are. We are half way through the year. I am living in a sublet apartment in Texas as the husband invests two months of 2011 to bolster his residency applications. And then I wonder where residency will lead us. Temporarily setting up shop here has thrown my mind into imagination mode. I can’t stop looking at real estate websites and online house plans. I can’t stop pondering the possibilities for the future: our city, the kid’s schools, Atrain’s audiologist, the climate, the culture, our apartment, or even (gasp) maybe our house. Though that would rock my world harder than Elvis rocked Rock ‘n Roll, all that really matters is that we rock on together. Or something like that. Home is where the heart is.

Time to refocus. In just a few days I'll be returning to our apartment to spend the rest of your month with half of my heart. That’s right. I’ll be leaving the other half in Texas with the husband. But don’t worry; he’ll take good care of it. He always does. Besides, in an attempt to ignore the bleeding hold in my chest cavity, I’ve been making plans: swim lessons, family reunions, rock climbing, summer reading series with the boys, cousin sleep-overs, spiritual renewal, home improvement (de-clutter) projects, gardening, etc. etc. etc.

I’m excited about our plans—about being deliberate in the outcomes I want to achieve with the kiddos. I want us to be happy, to learn (which means occasionally being sad), to adventure, to find buried treasure, and to patiently await the day daddy will return when we will all celebrate at the theaters with Lightning McQueen, Finn McMissile and the rest of the Cars 2 gang. It won’t be perfect, but at least that’s what we’re shooting for. For now, I have seven days of you left with the husband. And we’re going to have a blast.

3 comments:

  1. How much longer is the husband going to be in Houston? If he (or you) ever wants to escape the humidity, he can come visit us in Austin. It's a really beautiful 3 hour drive, so not too bad. And he can stop at the Bluebell ice cream factory in Brenham and get free samples. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your June plans sound nice. I hope we're included in the cousins sleep overs. :) Can't wait to have you back!! It has been so strange to have you gone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabrielle, I'm sure the husband would love to come visit this month. He will need some good company when we leave. Thank you!

    Amy--of course you're included. I am great at inviting myself over, aren't I? We can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete