Sunday, January 30, 2011

Feeding Wonderboy

Have you ever met a woman who agrees to make food to feed over 300 people? There are probably a few of them out there, but not many who would do it as willingly and as well as my mother in law and her team of wonder women. They didn’t just order pizza, either. They whipped enough cream to fill a large bathtub. They chopped enough lettuce to feed a rabbit family for generations. They cooked enough tortillas to help Hansel and Grettle make a trail of tortilla crumbs across the globe. There was also rice, beans and pulled pork, but I’ll spare you the comparisons. My mother in law is superwoman. I feed her son. You get the picture.

I would be willing to cook for that many people, but I doubt anyone would give me that assignment. Don’t get me wrong, I have a few good dishes mastered, and I’m always working on a few more. But memories of mistakes like mashed potatoes with broccoli or the pancakes that had a mysterious garlic flavor hold me back from reaching my true culinary potential. It’s in there somewhere. It may take a few more years of polishing to uncover. In the meantime (lucky for me) wonderboy is easy to please…or at least he’s really good at pretending.

No comments:

Post a Comment