Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hairy/Scary

I just finished watching the documentary “Good Hair” featuring Chris Rock. Some women shave their heads to demonstrate their devotion to God. Others budget thousands of dollars they don’t have to buy those sacred scalps. Then there are those young, naïve white girls with long blond hair who braid it in corn rows for family vacations to Disneyland. That was me. I remember wondering why so many people asked if my hair was attached to my hat, wondering why so many black girls made strange comments, and wondering whether or not I should be embarrassed by my waist-long corn rows. I wonder if my parents had any idea.

*puddle jump*

Atrain was terrified for the first time today. And it wasn’t because of how my hair looked (though I’m pretty sure my greasy do frightened away a few neighbors). I left Atrain in the living room with the P90x DVD running while I went to put on my shoes. He usually loves to do “movie exercises” with me. The next thing I knew he screeched, then bolted around the corner yelling for me. He flung himself into my arms and wrapped his skinny legs around my waste. It felt nice to be his protector. I asked him what happened and he bravely tried to hold back his tears as he told me that the movie was scary. I looked at the T.V. screen, and sure enough, it was a scary sight to behold. A shadowy, headless eight pack was striking the Heisman pose. Yikes. We had to find Atrain’s sword before we could begin the work out. I’ll never look at the P90x DVDs the same way again.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you remember me, but we went to middle school together in Nephi. Anyway, I found your blog and I love it! You are such a great writer and you make me stop and think. I love your puddle project and look forward to your new posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup... pretty scary Atrain! I've always thought the p90x body shots are a little strange, too...

    ReplyDelete