Monday, January 3, 2011

Missionary Monday

(excerpt from Elder I's letter)

My dear missionary brother, I've had a thought this Christmas that has stayed with me. I've thought about you this Christmas, and how difficult it must be to have such a beautiful gift to offer people, if they would just open their doors and let the missionaries in. As I've envisioned you on the long streets of Bastrop, I've wondered how it must feel, and how it must have felt for Joseph to have his wife carrying the most beautiful gift in the world. I'm sure you can imagine being Joseph, feeling the responsibility to find a place for Mary to deliver the Savior into the world, but only having doors slammed in your face. I wonder if he was discouraged, or frustrated, wondering how God was going to help them bring this miracle to pass. I'm sure he had a lot of faith that they would find somewhere for his wife to bring this special baby into the world. He must have, because they did find a place. Eventually there was a door opened--though it wasn't the "door" they expected. It was a stable-a cave really, where the animals were kept. Then came the unlikely, humble witnesses to the Savior's birth--the Shepherds to meet the baby who is the lamb of God. What a divine way it all came about. It rarely happens the way we expect or anticipate. But (my new favorite scripture from the nativity story, Luke 1:37, "For with God nothing shall be impossible."

No comments:

Post a Comment