Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Young Love

It’s hard to close your little boy’s bedroom door at night when he holds out a flower for you—even if it’s an hour past his bedtime. Lately we’ve let Atrain keep his bedroom door a little bit open (per his request) as long as he stays in bed. He has responded miraculously well to this privilege, and I have to admit that it feels great to not have to tie his door shut every night. But tonight he tested my resolve. I could hear him milling around in his room, then soon enough I heard his door creak open. “Looks like I’ll have to get the jump rope out,” I thought. Then I saw it: the petals of a fake flower emerging from the crack between his door and the frame. “I got this flower for you, Mama!” Atrain said.

My heart skipped a beat, but not for the same reasons it did when “Awe-she-baba” gave me a flower when I was a sophomore in high school. I saved that silly little daisy for weeks. This heart fluttering moment meant so much more than that. I am the woman in my son’s life: the only head of hair he cares to play with, the only one he calls princess, the only one he gives flowers to. And yet, I am also the one who puts him on time out, nags at him to use the big boy potty, ties his door shut at night with a jump rope, etc. I’m flattered that he so easily overlooks all of my faults and loves me regardless. Glad he’s learning well from his father.

He broke the rule, but I decided to let this first offense slide because it was just too darn sweet. I knelt down, looked at my little boy, gave him the biggest hug, grabbed a cochlear from the table and said “Thank you so much for the flower! I love it. I love you…now please stay in bed or I will have to lock your door.” Atrain retreated to his bed, but within the next few minutes he was back at the door yelling, “MOM! I want my flower back!” Awe, young love.

5 comments:

  1. What a stellar mom moment!! I think sometimes little things like this makes us have a "step-back" moment. Where we realize how much we under-appreciate the little things in life. Its the small things in life that make it so fulfilling. Just like spices you have in your favorite dish. Without those little spices the dish would be horribly bland, with them, it can be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that he asked for it back. I'm sure he'll give it to you again sometime. You are the apple of his eye...

    ReplyDelete