Thursday, January 20, 2011

Final Score

I’m sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store with my babies sleeping soundly in the car. Yes, I took my computer with me in the car. Especially after spending a half hour trying to convince a screaming, sleep-deprived Atrain that it’s not ok to wear basketball shorts outside in the winter time, I knew this might be my only chance today to jot a few thoughts down. He really is an especially sweet boy. But he’s also rather stubborn. I’ve tried to match his stubbornness today, and it’s been exhausting. No wonder he needs more sleep.

Today it was my goal to get him to take a bath and let me wash his hair. My first approach was to make an exchange—we could watch Superwhy if he washed his hair. Guess who has been content pretending to be Superwhy rather than watching him. I’m happy with this reaction, so I move on to strategy #2: lure him into the tub by letting him help me clean it. Atrain sprayed, splashed, washed and wiped down every inch of plumbing in the bathroom. Now I have a sparkling clean tub and an even dirtier Superwhy running around. Next I tried to trick him out of his basketball outfit (part of the reason why he won’t take a bath) by insisting on a trip to the grocery store to prepare for our ice cream party tonight. He knows he’s not allowed to wear his shorts outside, and maybe the ice cream party incentive would help sweeten the deal. After about a half hour tantrum involving his bball clothes, his tricycle and hundreds of “I don’t want to take a bath; don’t wash my hair!” guess who is sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store with her unbathed babies sleeping soundly in the car. Oh yeah, it’s me, but I already told you that.

The hubby just called. Our tub faucet just broke off. Phew. Looks like I’ll have a good excuse when I bring my stinky toddler to preschool tomorrow. Final score: momma-0, Atrain-3.

4 comments:

  1. the stubbornness must come from the frandsen genes because I've never met a more stubborn boy than my little one. aren't we lucky? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. At least you have a good excuse for not bathing him, though do we need one really? A little dirt behind the ears never hurt anyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel I have to stop myself from wanting to comment on every post! There is something about our friendship that makes me completely understand everything you have to say! I"ll try not to overload you on my comments but know that I LOVE reading your thoughts every day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nephew is one of those stubborn kids. My sister had a terrible time with him until she read a book called "Parenting the Ephraim's Child." It explains a lot about stubbornness and strong-willed kids, why they are that way, and how to train them to use those qualities for good. Here's the link: http://deseretbook.com/Parenting-Ephraims-Child-Characteristics-Capabilities-Challenges-Children-Who-Intensely-MORE-Deborah-Talmadge/i/4928864

    My husband is stubborn and I expect my little boy to be the same way! I'll be buying myself a copy in a year or two!

    ReplyDelete