Thursday, November 10, 2011

Not OK

Atrain and I had to have a conversation about why it's never OK to pee your pants.  Our discussion was compelled by his seemingly unconcerned approach to his accident at Toys R' Us today.  Of course, he had ulterior motives--a showing of Cars 2 was on the line.  It was an accident that happened literally minutes after I asked him (for at least the fifth time) if I could show him where the bathroom was.  "No, I'm fine mom," he always said.  I should have trusted my instincts. That little boy would rather hold it in all day than interrupt a compelling trip through the toy store.  Then, finally, right after I finished at the check out line I asked him to accompany me to the bathroom to change baby J (and get him to empty his bladder).  But it was too late.  This is how our conversation went:

Me: "Atrain, come with me to the bathroom really quickly so I can change Jdog."

Atrain: (with a pathetic look on his face) "No, I don't need to go potty."

"Did you?  NO--no way you peed?  Holy cow, buddy.  What happened?"

"I just peed my pants...it's OK mom."

"NO, it's not OK.  It's never OK to just pee your pants.  I just asked you if you needed to go.  Why????.... Follow me, quickly."

"It's just OK.  We can still go to the Cars 2 movie.  IT's ok mom, we can still go,"

"We won't go if you are wet with pee, Atrain."

"But we can just go get the pants you bought at the other store, mom. It's OK!"

"It's not OK to choose to do this, Atrain, even if you have pants in the car to use.  We can't see the movie unless you talk to me about why it's not OK to choose to pee your pants."

(utter melt down consisting of multiple blubblering "we can still go, it's ok" phrases)

Me: "Just tell me why you made this choice."

Atrain: "I was checking out a lot of toys and I didn't want to go, and then I was following you, and then I really had to go and I didn't know where to run fast to the potty."

"So, what will you do next time you don't know where the potty is at and you need to go?"

(with a little shrug) "Just pee in my pants."

"It's not a good choice to pee in your pants, buddy.  How about use your words instead, what words would help you?"

"Mommy!  I need to run fast to the potty!"

"Those are great words, Atrain.  Please use those words instead of peeing your pants."

"OK, mom, can we go to the Cars 2 movie?"

"Is it ok to pee your pants?"

"No, it's not ok."

"Alright, let's go to the movie."

"Wait mom....please...can we change my pants, mom?"

"Of course."

And, I just remembered that his pair of peed-in pants are still sitting in a bag in my car.  Shoot.  I guess I have to make one more trip to the parking lot tonight.

1 comment:

  1. You have a gift with logically talking to a 3 year old. I love his solution of *just pee my pants.* Without all the awareness of social implications and sanitization, it makes perfect sense as long as you're okay with the discomfort, right? hahaha

    ReplyDelete