Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Pearl

Today was that pearl of a Sunday: pure, remarkable and treasured.  I do love going to church: I love getting the boys ready, getting dressed up, singing the hymns, taking the Sacrament, feeling the Spirit listening to the speakers, etc.  Yes, I love going.  But, sometimes it's hard being at church--trying so hard to have a good, uplifting, Godly experience with my family to only--occasionally-- to fall flat on my face.  One only needs to glimpse at last week's experience for evidence.  Good thing many (perhaps, at times, most) spiritual lessons happen in the home.

But then there are days at church like today: when Atrain sits happily on one end of the bench, playing with his star wars figure without venturing into the aisle; when Jdog crawls contentedly around on the floor beneath me, reading books while he begs for gold fish and pretzels; and when I actually become so engrossed in the speakers that I don't even realize it's time to sing the closing hymn.  It was a good day.  I felt refreshed.  I felt prepared.  I treasured it, knowing that church with young kids doesn't always pan out like that.

Whether my kids are screaming in the foyer or sitting reverently in the bench, it doesn't really matter.  That's not why I go.  I go because I'm trying, I'm seeking goodly pearls.  Christ spoke of a merchant man who sought after goodly pearls, and when he found one he sold all that he had and bought it.  No matter how little I feel like I have to sell for that pearl--little patience, little time, little talent, little knowledge, etc., I will keep seeking.

1 comment:

  1. You deserved a Sunday like this. So glad...

    And you are definitely a pearl seeker... thank you for sharing many with us.

    ReplyDelete