Sunday, December 25, 2011

Be of Good Cheer

Nothing is as magical as Christmas Eve:  the stories are read; the pajamas are put on; the cookies are laid out; the scriptures are rehearsed; and then the boys wrestle themselves to sleep with anticipation, knowing that the morning will bring great joy.  My heart pounds with excitement as the husband and I wrap gifts, hoping that Atrain and Jdog will love their new gifts.
And then, morning came.  Jdog's smile was pure surprise and joy as he spotted his new riding car.  He wobbled over to it with unsteady enthusiasm bouncing from his feet.  Atrain was just as excited, but it was with a sense of pride.  He went with me to pick up this gift from a KSL deal and he has been talking about it since.  He helped Jdog into it and pushed him around before opening his own gifts.  He loves his brother so much.

Atrain was equally as excited to open his very own, new "Cars 2" boat from Santa.  But, he knew it was coming.  The big surprise came from mom and dad: a new razor scooter.  He was a little reluctant at first, but within the hour he was making circles 'round the staircase. The husband and I sat there watching our boys race around the house in their new toys as a couple other stocking presents sat unopened.  And then, we simultaneously agreed that they really don't need a lot.  In fact, they could do with a lot less.  That is when we promptly took Atrain's gift from me downstairs to store it away for his birthday.  The joint "mom and dad" gift of the scooter was enough.  He didn't even notice.

As we got ready for church I thought a lot about my babies, and about how much I love them.  In all the anticipation of Christmas, and dreaming, planning and preparing for that magical night, I hope I was able to "give" them what is most important--what they really need: the love of their family; the love of God, and the comforts that swaddle and support their growth.  The baby Jesus had swaddling clothes, a loving Father in Heaven and on earth, and a mother who kept and pondered all these things in her heart.

I thought about this Christmas day, and I keep coming back to a moment with Atrain during church.  This particular sacrament meeting was so far from perfect--including a moment where I had to sing and Atrain was hauled out into the hall crying, "I want my mommy!"  Sweet and funny boy.  But, the moment that keeps carving itself into my heart was when the sacrament was passed.  Atrain snuggled on my lap while I whispered in his ear my thoughts about Jesus.  The whisper was a miracle.  The Spirit that sat with us there, was a miracle.  Atrain felt it--his calm, listening heart reflected it.  The Holy Ghost sank that feeling deep into my memory--and the hope for more sacrament feelings this to come.

I think that to be merry, or to "be of good cheer" is a commandment from Christ.  (John 16:33).  It is different than the excitement and surprise of the Christmas season.  It is the peace that is in Christ.  It is the hope for a better world, and the actions that attest of that hope.  After all, he has overcome the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment