Thursday, December 22, 2011

Link by Link

"I wear the chain I forged in life," replied the Ghost. "I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?"


The Christmas Carol is such a good story.  Tonight I saw the play on stage for the first time in my life. It's about a man who had good reasons to be both unhappy and happy.  He chose to be unhappy.  He chose to "bah humbug" everything that could have caused him joy because he was so busy and so belligerent that he bullheadedly buried everything that could have helped him be happy. 

I'm still thinking about the conversation I had with my sister a couple of weeks ago.  We talked about mothering and about happiness.  Sometimes mother "business" can get in the way of real mothering--the real nurturing, teaching, disciplining, leading and inspiring.  And, most importantly, it can get in the way of letting my children know how happy they make me.

Link by link, day by day, we forge the life we live.  What patterns do my children know?  How happy do they see me?  Do they know how important they are?  Do they feel their great worth in God's plan.  Do they understand it is a plan of happiness?  Do I?  I do.  And I can't let anything distract me from sharing that with them--day by day, link by link.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post. Yes, I'm still thinking about that conversation too. It's in my top ten of last year. :) I have had a pink sticky note on my computer monitor ever since then that says this: "I want my children to know that they make me happy." -M.J.F. Ry-pie sometimes reads it out loud, complete with initials, when he's in the vicinity. We should talk again. :)

    ReplyDelete