Saturday, December 3, 2011

Immersion

My sweet nephew "Percy" was baptized this morning.  I misread the invitation and showed up at the wrong church, and once I got my mind in order we arrived just in time to see the ripples of the water he had just exited.  It was a sad moment for me.  I kind of sobbed.  Others probably thought I was feeling especially spiritual.  But, I was just angry at myself.

That is, until Percy was confirmed, and I heard the sweet words of the blessing "receive the Holy Ghost."  My heart was calmed and my tears of guilt transformed into tears of joy.   Percy was so proud of himself.  He shook every hand of the men in the circle who participated in the blessing--and he did it with such confidence and excitement. When I got up to lead the group in a closing song, he shook my hand too.  I just love that little boy: so creative, so self-assured, so much like looking into my sister's eyes when we were little.

I cried my way through the closing song, too.  I hope I didn't look too pathetic, but I just couldn't help it.  There is something so unique and amazing about making covenants with God.  The promises offered are priceless.  At that moment I was totally immersed in the love of Father in Heaven for His children on earth.

Percy looked so young, there, sitting in between his parents.  I felt so young, standing there, leading the music, singing, "I am a Child of God."  He has sent me here.  He gave me parents so kind, and so dear.  And, He is leading me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment